Monday, December 21, 2009

The Glass Castle

Today, in between frolicking on the beach, visiting some art galleries and buying super cheap OPI nail polish at the flea market I read a really amazing book that I think you should also read. It is called "The Glass Castle" by, Jeanette Walls and it is a true and truly amazing story.
It is amazing in general but especially amazing if you feel like you have it bad in life. This woman has the worst but best life story imaginable and although the book was 300 pages and no Nicholas Sparks I managed to rip through it in just a few hours- it is that good.
So why did I like it?
First, her writing style is one to aspire to. She is so funny and sarcastic while tackling seriously heavy issues. The opening chapter blew my mind in the way she articulates her first childhood memory (which is so horrible you will immediately feel better about your life). She manages to both present an obvious and usual biased view of each of the characters she fills out with her witty verbiage and also a very omniscient viewpoint allowing for the reader to understand who each character is to the narrator and outside the narrator. The way she deals with the horrors of her own life should inspire everyone and really demonstrates a the kind of person we should all aspire to be. She rarely laments her unfortunate circumstances and tries, as we all should, to see the light at the end of every tunnel. Cheesy right? Trust, this is the best kind of cheese.
For once, a heartfelt tale about a family did not make me cry and although utterly depressing, did not make me even sad. I was honestly grateful that this woman who had led this extraordinary life had the capacity to pen it out and share it. She is a true and wonderful storyteller.
Second, I personally have (and have found many people also have) a morbid obsession with the underworld. If you , like me, find those kind of things fascinating you will freak out for how close you get to the inner workings of transient people, alcoholics, homeless people, and mental disorders.
Point: Unlike movies (except Avatar), I have excellent taste in books so trust me. Read it.
Thank me later

No comments:

Post a Comment