Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A wedding memo.

I have spent a grand total of 13 month planning my wedding- and I really was the planner. I chose everything and did so with a meticulous eye and uncompromising vision.

This past weekend I got to see the fruits of my labour.

So here is my debrief.

First, I have to say that my memory is a bit hazy as I felt like I was high on the best drugs available in all of the world all night long. It was like floating through a dream.

But this brings me to the second thing- all that bullshit I spent hours agonizing over didn't matter at all.
Sure, I was happy to have the details as I wanted them but I probably wouldn't have even noticed if the whole room was glittery and white instead of rustic and dark. Wouldn't have cared if the band played Sesame Street all night instead of my carefully orchestrated set list. Could have served late night anything instead of shwarma- none of it would have mattered.

The thing that makes a wedding is not the venue, nor the food, nor the flowers, nor the dress- it is the love- and not just the love between the bride and groom but the love that surrounds them in their journey.

This is something I of course knew, but didn't realize just how immensely important it would be until I saw and felt the night.

First of all, people gasped when I announced 10 bridesmaids. Best decision I made. 10 girls who would have ensured I was having the time of my life regardless of the fact that I was. 10 girls who I got to share all the nuances like a rehearsal dinner and showers with and who I now have an even stronger bond with as a result. 10 girls who got a deeper glimpse into not only my life and family but also the lives and family of my HUSBAND (what what). That was one of the best parts about the wedding- having all my friends there right beside me through all the different parts.

Second,We were so so so happy to watch our parents actually like each other and it made the wedding so amazing. Throughout the year we have all done so much stuff together that by wedding time, all our family and their friends were familiar with both sides- no strangers. My parents have spent time with his parents friends and vice versa- that is wicked.

Finally, marry the right person. I had ZERO fear, nervousness, or anxiety on that day. ZERO- and this is coming from the girl who didn't sleep for days before, riddles with a million thoughts and worries- they disappeared the day i woke up and knew I was marrying him. Everyone had told me this would happen- that I would feel so serene and peaceful once the day came but I never expected it to be so true. I guess when you are marrying the perfect person there is nothing to worry about. My wedding planner said that jitters always make her worry that there is something wrong with the bride and grooms relationship- I understand that now. It was the calmest I have ever felt and the easiest decision I have ever made and the most perfectly worry free moment I think I will ever get!

So, overall, though the details of the night are a blur, it was perfect.

I am so happy to be a married woman and can't wait for the next adventures to come. and future brides, relax, marry the right guy and I promise you will also have the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment