Monday, July 18, 2011

The Looniest Crazies

I sleep with the TV on, a super annoying habit that causes my fiance to perpetually stay up after me to make sure it turns off. I can sleep through anything and like the glow and hum of whatever is on that night.

Do I often have TV related dreams? Yes, and I am sure they do something to my sleep patterns but without fail, if I am last asleep, TV stays on.

What I always find funny is what I will wake up to for it can be a plethora of programming. Sometimes I stay on the Shopping Channel and wake up to a machine that slices, dices and makes french fries all while buffing your car, sometimes I wake up to unattractive rich women bitch fighting on Slice, and sometimes I wake up to TLC- by far the most entertaining channel to watch, sleep and wake up to.

My Strange Obsession. Have you heard people talking about this show around you? If you have heard musing about a woman who eats toilet paper or a guy who believes that a blow up doll is his wife- that is it. This show is out of control. For 30 minutes 2 people are profiled as they explain their super weird obsessive compulsive habits to you.

This is what I woke up to.

Best part is that TLC knows their audience. They no longer even bother with documenting the treatment- they just give you what you want- the voyeur experience into the life of someone with unusual or disturbed thoughts.

Some of the addictions I understand. I watched one about a woman who was attached to her shoe collection and had a shopping addiction. Totally get that. I saw one where the girl picks her scabs and although it was gross- I got that too. But others just blow me away. The girl who ate couch cushions was pretty amazing as was the one who ate detergent but what I woke up to took the cake.

Profile Josh, a pimply punk looking dude with pube-like sideburns and a pretty cute girlfriend despite the fact that she could obviously do better looks wise. Josh eats glass. Like drinks his wine, and then eats the stemware. And he does it so nonchalantly, like it is not totally fucked for him to be biting off a piece of his cup and chewing it. The dude also eats bullets- just for fun and to shake things up a little bit.
Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with people? How on earth does one become so mentally unwell that they decide to eat glass. Eat it.

And just when we thought it couldn't get crazier, enter the girl who eats ashtrays. The ash in them doesn't seem to bother her nor does the fact that she is chewing on pottery. In fact, this girl brings a doggy bag of pottery wherever she goes, just in case the mood strikes her to just mow down on some clay.

Again, almost hard to believe that these people exist. And the weird commonality between them is that they both don't seem to think that what they do is weird at all. They always do a couple minutes where the subject is with their friends or family talking about the obsession and both were just like, "I don't see what the big deal is"- NO??? No guesses??? Do you think it is your new hair cut maybe??? Is that it you crazy pottery/glass eating person?? That must be it. Your hair.

AND, they list off all the health issues- so they are obviously aware that they will likely kill themselves with what they ingest- but that just doesn't seem to be enough to make them stop. The glass guy admits that he has probably sliced open his insides- ya, probably maybe. Not like, ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE.

Although it made me cringe and filled my day with small flashbacks of the sound of glass being chewed- which, in case you haven't evoked your own image of it, is just disgusting- like nails on a chalkboard- so although it did this, it also helped me feel exponentially less crazy. Anytime you feel like your sanity is slipping you must watch this. Guarantee you will never be as crazy as that- and don't we all need a little pick me up and TLC now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment