Friday, February 24, 2012

And from that point on, anywhere I went I was run-ning

Sorry that I suck so bad readers. I got all caught up in my mini vaca that I have neglected you like last years short shorts.
I am back, refreshed, and eager to write.
So hi! How are you?
I am great after spending last weekend in sunny Florida, shopping to my little heart’s content and reading books in the sun. And now, it is already the weekend again (Bless these short weeks)...

So this weekend I have the distinct pleasure of celebrating the engagement of one of my favorite couples on earth. Even my husband, who usually doesn't get too excited about shindigs like engagement parties is excited to cheers these 2 cats. Seriously- they have some good shit going on... You know how some loves just feel like really good loves?

My husband and I often feel like we have the best love in the world (which we do) and it just warms our hearts when we meet other couples who surely feel the same way- we are lucky to know a good bunch of such pairs and always look forward to spending time with them.

Love love.

Anywho, so this coming week I begin training to run the upcoming 10k for Sporting Life. In case you don’t know about it, this is a wicked run associated with an even better charity- Camp Ooch is a non-for-profit camp for children who have been affected by cancer and when you enter this run, your money goes to giving kids a chance to BE kids and spend their summer in a kid environment where they learn all sorts of new leadership and friendship skills- there is a whole lot more to it, I am totes summarizing but this organization is close to my heart and worth some time and support. Just saying.

Wooha- that got real for a second- ok, so back to the 10k. I have run it for the past 2 years (and by run, I mean the first year I walked and the second year I sort of ran/trudged my way through, crawled through the finish line and couldn't walk properly for a week after).

In the meantime of course, my husband, who was just as untrained as me RAN the whole thing and even made good time- and so, in true competitive sprit, I promised myself that I would run it too, the whole thing, no crawling or trudging, and like he did last year, be able to go to the gym the next day with no pain. Ambitious? Maybe.....

So, my most amazing personal trainer- who also happens to be one of my closest friends suggested we run/ train to run together and since I pretty much do whatever she tells me to do in pursuit of a 6 pack, I said Hells Yes.

So starting Monday, I run. I run a lot, and I keep running until I can run more, and then I run until I can run even more and by May 13th I will be running 10ks in my sleep.

But here is the thing. I am a terrible runner.
You know that Friends episode where Pheobe runs and she looks like a mental patient flailing her arms around? Well, that’s pretty much me, with more flailing and I pant. I don’t really know why- like, I do other cardio, I can swim, spin, whatever but running makes me pant like a fat Golden Retriever.

Either way- this Plantain running= HOT MESS- my trainer doesn’t know this yet but she has a HUGE shock coming to her. I doubt she will be able to keep a straight face while watching the disaster that is me.

Plus, again, with only running- I have no stamina. Last 10k I barely managed to keep up with the 75 year old obese grandmother in front of me- how can that be?? I am a pretty physically fit and active person and yet while she barely broke out a sweat I was dry heaving in her shadow.

They say, especially with running that you have to “practice” and “train”- well, I put these notions to the ultimate test. Right now I can run for about 5 minutes straight without my chest and legs caving in- I vow both to train properly and consistently to see if I really can learn this skill.

I promise not to make this my health and fitness blog since I would rather eat barf than spend my time reading one of those let alone writing one- but I will let you know in a week or 2 if I look less like one of those wavy inflatable tube things and more like a human being.

Happy Friday to you all- hope you are all doing something wonderful to celebrate this amazing weather (voms)



No comments:

Post a Comment