Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recap post sickness

Happy Tuesday folks.
This past weekend was a busy one that did nothing to help the raunch cold I have been housing since last Thursday. Um, dear cold, you have overstayed your welcome. Please Leave now.
I cannot blow my nose anymore. I will literally not have a nose left if I do.

So, despite walking around the city like a grandmother with dirty kleenex tucked into every pocket and sleeve, I tried to enjoy my Saturday before succumbing to the couch on Sunday and Monday for the much needed R&R that has just barely helped me to feel better.

We began Saturday with a trip to the Organic farmers market at the Brickworks- this is an awesome market in the summer and was not half bad for a smaller indoor version in the winter. Plus they make some wicked food on the spot- which we would have loved had I not been starving (aka a total hungry bitch) and insistent on trying the new-ish restaurant “Café Belong”

Ug, Café Belong- you have a bad name- like a bad Sesame Street name.

Thankfully, you also have delicious food. I think the first thing I said that morning upon opening my eyes after a crap nights sleep was “pancakes”- Café Belong’s pancake offering was just the perfect thing. Dense, carby delights with crispy edges, bourbon maple syrup and pears. I have not eaten pancakes (or carbs for that matter) in many many months- while I (and my stomach) instantly regretted the meal after completion, it was amazing- my tastebuds sang.

My husband had a homemade pork sausage with fried eggs- the sausage, and fyi, I love sausage- was amazing. Sweet, porky, sweaty. Amazeballs.

They serve all their food on Le Creusette stuff so all the waitresses have buff arms from carrying cast iron all day long. I should get a job there.

Anyways- we spent the afternoon running errands- because married life is glamorous like that.

At night- and I am sorry because this is about to become a whole post about where I ate all weekend- because you give a shit- I went out with my girlfriends to celebrate one of their new engagements. Hell to the ya because she is marrying the best guy ever. I totally love this dude and cannot wait for them to say I do.

In the meantime, the girls went out to talk dresses and marriage consummation.

Acadia- on Clinton just north of College was our place du jour or du nuit... Whatever.

So- Acadia, think we all agreed that this was not the BEST place we had ever been but there were some tasty bits worth mentioning- like the grits. Could bathe in them- they were like heaven with cheese- or the scallops- or the grain risotto that was a wicked version of kasha and bow sans bow. The cocktails were a delight and the wine was totally good.

The mains were lacking though which was a bit disappointing and the dessert, while we finished it, was just weird.

What was nice was that dinner was long, which I don’t often find- they were in no rush to kick us out or make us uncomfortable to the point that we felt obligated to pay and leave and so we spent about 4 hours dishing and gossiping together- seriously love these girls.

And then, sickness hit and I watched more hours of crap television than I care to recount.

Dear daytime TV- you make me never want to be a stay home mom. Ever.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment