Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Skating is good

Oh hi.

So, I am spending today all hyped up because tonight is my first dodgeball semifinals and I really want to kick some ass. My husband cant play tonight and I want so much to come home with stories of my success to regale him with- good luck to me right?

Good thing that I have an ultra competitive spirit to go with my inability to throw a ball.

Anywho, so last night, fresh off my cold, I met up with one of my oldest friends for a night of catching up. The best thing about old friends is how little you actually need to catch up and how even littler you need to explain yourself. So we have this tendency to do really cute activities together- we both have similar hobbies and interests so often she is the one I will see plays, art shows or a concert with and likewise, I will always choose her to go see a sports game should I come across tickets because we both love arena food and don’t really get the game and in our younger years pre my husband and her live in long term man, loved picking up guys at basketball games.

I digress.

So last night we went...da da da daaaaaa (that’s a drumroll)... Skating and I am pretty sure it was one of the funnest things I have done in a long long time. Plus, like riding a bike, you totally don’t forget how to skate even if your skates are totes rusty on the bottom indicative of how long it has actually been since you last went.

So I whipped out my figure skates, you know, from when I was a figure skater (never happened) and my warmest winter attire and got to it.

Having spent 1 hour on the ice here is what I have to say about it, other than that it is awesome:


1. next time, I am wearing full padding- I didn’t fall but I kept thinking about how painful it would be if I did. This stopped me from joining the 4 year old girl on the rink with us in going super fast and then making that really cool skater stop where you spray ice everywhere.

2. everything is so much scarier when you get old- I obvi had so much fun but every time I wavered or lost my balance I imagined my weak 30 year old bones breaking, my precious legs or arms bruising or worse hurting my much needed knees. Remember being fearless (well, in fairness, I don’t I was a pretty fearful child) but remember? That was a nice time- you had no idea how much you could hurt yourself back then- life was full of skating fasts.

3. skating= amazing workout that is actually enjoyable. My legs felt like jello after an hour and although my shins are sore as a result of wearing skates that were made a good 40 years ago and have little to no ankle support for a newbie skater, I can feel how much muscle I used

4. Finally, this shit is free yo. Parking was free, skating was free and the locker was free. How about that? What can you do these days for a whole night that is free?

So skating- do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment