Thursday, October 11, 2012

thank you

Were you thankful all weekend long?

I can tell you this. I was hella thankful for the long weekend and super hella thankful to sleep in on Monday instead of my usual up at 7am (or 8 am, more often, much to my husbands dismay).

This weekend felt super long, likely because Friday was such a full day and not a work-until-5-get-home-go-out day. I even got a nap on Friday courtesy of my 9:30 dinner resos.

So, for the second time in this past few weeks I went to the Shangri-la hotel to sample the fares at Momofuko. Having already been to the noodle bar, which was ok, I was anxious to try the more fancy pants upstairs spot, Daisho.

Hot dang.

First of all, the drinks. The drinks were amazeballs. I am a sucker for anything tequila based so tequila plus some kind of lemon stuff and flower extract was perfect for moi. We grabbed drinks at the bar on the second floor, Nikai, which was bordering obnoxiously swanky but somehow skipped being too pretentious by virtue of the older clientele (we heard of some very famous foodie people at a table nearby and the manager of the whole Momofuko establishment held court at a nearby table as well).

The ambiance at Daisho struck my husband as being very “hotel-y” (he has such a way with words...) and it was, a bit sparse and modern and not like the usual mismatched country kitchen places we are used to going- but nothing could faze me (after 2 tequila drinks).

The food. I am not sure what to say about it. It was delicious, wonderful, tasty and remarkable but that all being said, I only left craving 1 item so my desire to run back is..meh.

But ok, to the nitty gritty, here is what I ate (sorry my beautiful trainer, this was a “cheat night”): oysters, pork buns, rice puffs, trout and pork- both of which I cannot really remember other than they were delish and... The piece de la resistance... A giant loaf of fresh crispy on the outside, doughy on the inside bread with a side of “drippings” which is the fresh gravy sauce that drips off of the meats as they are cooked. ERMAHGERD. Shit was cray.

We basically spent the remainder of the weekend stuffing our little faces, seeing friends and family and getting house stuff done- because, that just never seems to end. Oh, and I went book shopping- hurray!

I have been addicted to reading since my birthday this past April- I have always been an avid reader but have gone from avid reader to super sonic mega reader. I was, in fact, banned from purchasing books at one point (but you just cant put a price on education, in the end). At Indigo, my dad, who happily spent Sunday with me, suggested a kobo e-reader. I don’t know how I feel about that. Part of my love for books is the ink, the paper, the weight, the way they bend and feel- they way you imprint your reading experience into them.

Was I stuffing myself full of chocolate or crying hysterically as I read- the telltale brown smudges or water marks tell the story of the experience. I don’t know that I can give that whole part up just yet.

So, I got myself 3 new books instead and said no thank you to the electronic book.

I got a book called The Age of Miracles- which I just started today after a review from my mother who called it “spooky”- I like spooky stuff... I got a book called the Marriage Plot by the dude who wrote Middlesex and I got a book called The Happiness Project, the true story of a woman who simplified and happy-fied her life. On the tail of the last book I read, which was fantastic (The Virgin Cure) I am already anxious to get through thee 3 and read more. The appetite is insatiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment