Friday, October 19, 2012

Happiness on a Friday

Happy Friday friends and well-wishers,

This was a long ass week. having a wedding on a Sunday night followed by an early Monday morning is just killer. It threw off my whole week.

Anywho, so speaking of weddings, I am but a mere 10 days away from celebrating my sister-in-law’s wedding! Could I be ore excited? The answer is no. no I could not.

I love weddings, any and all weddings BUT there is nothing better than the wedding of someone who you actually are excited to celebrate- a wedding where you feel a part of the celebrations and you are not just a witness to them. A wedding where you are a part of the love in the room, not just another body on the dance floor. So with that, I am obviously especially excited for this one!

I’m sure I will have more to say about this as it nears but for now, we have Friday to dwell upon- and boy do I love Fridays...
Especially Fridays the fall right after epic Thursdays- we spent last night with friends and amid a lot of gossip and too many gin and tonics I am pretty sure that I didn’t stop laughing for 4 straight hours. I am all for a weekend that begins like that!

So this week, after being encouraged by mon mere, I finished the book Age of Miracles. Have you read it? You should. Not only is it awesome, but it inspires some good and interesting thoughts about what is important to you.

The book opens with a 12 year old narrator who walks us through what happens to her and her life as the world slows its rotation around the sun. I am not a doomsdayer, but I am pretty sure that this is how we are going to die.

While there are the obvious repercussions that apply to all mankind, like food shortage,  natural disaster/ weather, and electricity and networks- the loss of friends and family and the overall terror that the end of the world would inspire, the book calls to light what are the particular losses of the narrator and her family. I will not ruin this for you because it is just too damn good but suffice to say that I finished the book and couldn’t help but think about my personal essentials. The whats and whos of what would matter to me if I was faced with impending death/ doom.

And of course, because life is sometimes like that, the next book I picked up, called The Happiness Project, follows on the tails of this theme- what does one need in life to be happy.

Anyways, just something to think about as we head into the weekend- a time where, for all intensive purposes, we are meant to enjoy and indulge in that which makes us happy!

I myself am spending this weekend with my husband, family and good friends- those would top my list of “essentials” to survive- oh, and cheese. DEF. cheese.




xo

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment