Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nose to tail

 So, it has been a while again... Since we last spoke- frig, New York was long ago now....
Whateves, we have a lot going on right now- for starters, we bought a house! You can only imagine the amount of time this now occupies in my life, what with pulling inspiration pictures of anything home ware related that has antlers....

But I took some time off this past weekend from my busy taxidermy research schedule to have some fun (and I am totes joking about taxidermy, no animal heads will be chez moi).

Red Hot Chili Peppers. Did that on Friday night. The show was amazing! Granted we had fabulous seats and great company, but they were really good- so fun and so many great songs and homeboys can move- handstands, head banging... Shit was cray cray.

BUT, do you know how old these dudes are? 49. 4fing9. They are almost 50 years old and had more energy in them than I could ever dream of having. And sure, it is kind of raunch to watch Flea thrust his pelvis at the audience when they zoom in on his face and you see it in it’s close up wrinkle, aged-ness- there is def something grossy about a wrinkled old man thrusting at you right?

And how does one, at 50 keep up with the hottest street trends for 19 years olds and hipsters alike? They work, beaters with knee socks and pants with one leg up and one down, chucks, moustaches and nazi hair. They looked like all my friends in advertising, but 50.

Whatevs, you have to give mad props to anyone who has been playing concerts for 30 years and still can kill it on a 2 night concert with sold out stadium audiences.

Anyways- watching such fing great music made us hungry so we went over to Ossington to eat.  Why don’t restaurants serve food past 11? They should. But in a lucky turn of events, we were guided by our hunger to a place that does serve late night food- the Black Hoof.

It was on my list so I was SO happy to try it finally after hearing rumors of marrow and sweetbreads for so long...

My complaint, the drinks. I am SO happy to pay 12 dollars for a cocktail, but it had better be good. Parts and Labor, Origins...they make some serious expensive cocktails that get you hella drunk and taste like heaven. This Hoof drink, despite having tequila in it (which always F’s me up) was kind of weak- so were the scotch cocktails the boys had.

Onto the food though because a few glasses of vino later and I could have cared less about my cocktails...

Plate 1- Olives and bread. They heat the olives. Warm olives make me the happiest.
Plate 2- the Marrow. A big ass bone sliced in half with succulent marrow ready to be spread onto a croustini with chimichurri spread.
Plate 3- Charcuterie. You could have just died when you saw how much eat was on this plate. Cured duck, blueberry infused salami, summer sausage, pork heart with fennel, and about 6-8 other cured meats. Le drool.
Plate 4- Tuna crudo- melt in your mouth tuna with compressed kolbi and parsnip puree. Eat this- best thing I had fo sho.
Plate 5- Pork tacos. Tacos, so hot right now.
Plate 6- Beef tendon over cheesy grits- and yes, beef tendon is actually the slimy gluttonous cartilage that binds your joints or whatever. It tasted, you will be happy to hear, exactly as one might imagine.
Plate 7- (I tapped out on this one) Fois Gras with Nutella on banana bread. The mere thought of trying fois gras again made me want to barf out my tendon. It was apparently amazing. Ok









Needless to say, despite it being a great meal, I don’t think my body can handle going back again. I had meat sweats, meat dreams and everything else meat for days after- I even dubbed my morning after as meat hangover. I actually spent several hours on the couch with a friend who had dined there the night before too at an earlier time slot- we both clutched our bellies, drank tea and compared the merits of blood sausage to blood custard.

Anywho, go, try it- you really should... They don’t get ranked as best restaurant for nothing, that is for sure.


Ate essentially a whole animal NBD


No comments:

Post a Comment