Monday, May 14, 2012

10K...done!

Happy Monday dear readers.
 

Yesterday, May 13th at 7:45 am I got in my coral lineup and waited for the sound off to mark my 10k start. If you have read me this last little while, you will know that I have been training to run this race for a long ass time and so, as you can only imagine, I was a bit nervous about this day.
 

Well nerves be gone because day is done, gone the sun and I did it!

That’s right- this arm flailing, 2 left feet, no stamina, thought she would have a heart attack if she ran too hard ran that mofo the whole way through which is truly proof that if you want to do something, you can.

Sure, my legs feel like lead bricks and sure, my hips are cursing at me every time I breath- but the satisfaction of getting that off my bucket list is unparallel.

Now, the morning didn’t begin as I had imagined (me leaping out of bed at 6:30 am, excited by the possibility of the day and abound with energy) and instead was a bit of a grump-fest. My husband, who ran with me, was feeling like crap and subsequently less than enthusiastic about the run.

But once you get to the Sporting Life start gate, it is impossible to stay grumpy. The energy and the crowd is truly inspiring and seeing how many people are there and are about to attempt the 10k is equally amazing. Plus Nike, clever clever Nike created little signs that you could pin on the back of your bright yellow top that said Never. Stop _________. People filled in their blank line with tons of different inspirational messages which was nice but it served more than just a message board purpose... Every time I felt like I wanted to slow down or give up, I looked up at the upper ass of the person in front of me and read that line “never stop” and I obeyed.

Plus I got to run almost the whole thing with my friend and my husband- he left me at 5k to pee and she left me at 7k to sprint ahead... But the best was at 9k when I really wanted to just walk the last stretch, my legs were burning and I was just done, my husband caught up to me and we got to finish the race together. He was totally my inspiration (loves you)

Needless to say, we took an epic nap, I forgot about the entire pizza and box of chocolate that I ate the night before (to carb-load, of course, not to just be a gluttonous pig....)
Had the first good sleep of my month courtesy of my aching body and physical exhaustion and m ade a vow to another 10k by summers end.

Yes, meet my new addiction folks, running.

Oh, and I would be wrong not to acknowledge the most wonderful sales girl at Lululemon who outfitted me with the most amazing running shirt eves. This shirt is like a magic shirt. It is UV protecting, anti bacterial, wicks away moisture and is as light as a feather. I think it is their Silver line- you should buy that shit. And it is hella cute. What what.

Anyways, spending brunch and dinner with my mother in law and mother was the best way to end a totally amazing morning! Hope you all had a faboosh weekend too. Cheers to the summer, feels like it is finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment