Friday, March 16, 2012

Some thoughts on Foie Gras.


Readers.

It is  Friday and over the course of the day my plan is to bombard you with all the posts I meant to put up this week but then didn’t. My bad.
So, nothing like sun to start the end of week off right- just another of the more wonderful effects of this whole weather thing that scares more than delights me with every super sunny day.

I must say though, that it has been a full year since I stopped commuting via car and began my rocket riding commute- never been happier. Even this morning as I emerged from the subway I smiled. I watched a nervous woman try and make a left turn from Bloor while biting her nails and thought to myself “self, you are lucky that isnt you”

I would stand in anyones armpit (ah I hope I didn’t jinx myself to stand in the ultimate BO master’s pit) over driving. Any day.

So first of all, I want to give some dap to a new restaurant I tried Wednesday night for my mom’s birthday. Catch at Rushton and St. Clair- you are yummy. All seafood and fish so if you are not a lover of the waters, don’t go. However, if you are, go- it is really good! I had oysters, scallops, and fish galore! Nom nom nom.great service, pretty space. Overall, two thumbs up by me.

So, the scallops were adorned with foie gras, and this brings me to my rant of the day- I hate foie gras.
For the past few years this menu item has mystified me- I actually had not idea what it was and only assumed that it was something pish posh like caviar but even more classy as to stump even a self proclaimed foodie like myself.  Then, in the past 2 years at some point, I tried it and discovered what it was, liver.

Well la-de-dah for me because I love liver (and any animal part- but liver I have totes grown up on). I don’t remember thinking twice about it when I tried it so I cant say I hated it instantly but I will tell you this- I do now.
The last time I can recall having it was at Colborne Lane for my 9 course dinner- a treat for my hubs and I right after we got married- it was beyond, I gained 20 pounds that night.

Anyways, I hate when I don’t like a food- I want to love everything and in the spirit of my personal motto on life, I have to try everything in order to know about it so with that in mind, I ate the foie gras on one of my 9 plates. And then I barfed in my mouth.
To me, and I am not trying to yuck anybodies yum, it tastes like ground chalk with fat and poop- and yes, that is the most creative way I can describe this “delicacy”- poop.

So then the next time it came into play was shortly thereafter on my plane to Thailand. Bless you first class for providing us with edible food and going the distance to even serve delicacies like foie gras but holy hell who needs that poop when you are flying? I tired it again, to be a good sport, gagged and then hid it under bread.

I haven't seen it since..... Until last night...

I don’t know why I even tried at this point- I have given this crap enough of a taste test to know, for certain, that I hate it. But I did, and not, even this morning I can taste the tiny drop I put in my mouth like it is there, melting, as it does, and filling me with an urge to yak.

So this morning I was sharing my disgust with my co-workers when I learned something new about my food mortal enemy- not only does it taste bad (to me, I’m sorry, I hate when people do that- you know, say something is gross even though it is only gross to them- I really don’t mean to offend you if you eat that poop- wait is calling it poop offensive too? I cant win.)
But it is also really bad- to the animal. Listen, I am no animal rights activist. I will go to hell in a fur coat for sure BUT, to know how unethical the production of this food is just gives me a better reason to hate it other than its poopiness.

So they feed these poor little ducks SO MUCH FOOD- they literally stuff them with fat so that the liver is huge and fatty so that they get the ultimate fatty-bombatiness for their future foie gras. I just picture poor ducks being hose fed food like a creepy horror movie, if ever they were made about ducks being bred to be killed. They don’t, but still....

So, there you go- reason enough to stop being such a poonans and just pass on the next foie gras offering.
Oh, and in case you haven't gotten the gist of the blog, I hate that crap. Ok?

1 comment:

  1. hilarious! :) I hate it too! Sometimes I think people say they like it...just because they think it is hoity-toity. :)

    ReplyDelete