Friday, March 16, 2012

Run for fun


So, this past weekend after my hour run on Saturday, my knees were screaming at me and they were saying, “protect us, please”. Never one to ignore knees, I listened and went in haste to my local Running Room store to get a pair of actual running shoes that are not 3 year old cross trainers- and apparently, there is a difference. Who knew.

Well, the bitch who helped me sure knew.

My first mistake was asking her if I could cross train in my running shoes. She looked at me as if I had asked her if I was able to sky rocket to Mars with my new shoes- like it was THAT dumb a question. I’m sorry, but for the peon runner that I apparently am, how would I know that? If I was a well versed and educated runner, why would I need your help fitting me with a shoe?

My second mistake was asking for something cute. Listen they bother to make different colors and styles of athletic gear, no matter how technical it is. Shit even my husband has a color selection when he looks for tarps to cover his tent- you wear shoes, on your feet. So was asking for something a bit more stylish out of the question? Yes. And I was shamed for doing it.
With a aura of disgust she replied “we don’t sell fashion shoes, we sell running shoes”
oh DO you??? I had absolutely no idea that in a store called Running Room that you carried running shoes- gosh am I stupid.
And, just to finish off that part of my story, the ones I got were cute, without her even trying to find them- they are purple and silver- that was all I was asking for. (even though I was really asking for pink to match my workout wear- I’m big into neon pink right now- but sport is not about fashion at all as I was told- that is why they offer so many different styles and arrays- the difference between neon pink and orange is for sure technical, right bitch?)

So here is the thing that really pisses me off, why does everyone who works at these specialty sports stores always have to be so pretentious and condescending. How can anyone learn to do something when people make them feel like idiots for not knowing everything there is to know about the sport of running.
And it isn't like they have a super elite skill that makes them leaps and bounds better than you average person. It’s running. Anyone with legs can run if they want to- do you really think that you are so special because you have done it for longer or can be faster?

It is extremely discouraging to see that no matter the skill, sport, activity, whatever, there will always be people who judge you and try and make you feel small instead of encouraging you to try harder and praising you for your willingness to try in the first place.

Alls I can say is I am pretty sure my new shoes give me superpowers and if I see that girl in my 10k run, I’m going to make sure all she sees is my well adorned, super cute in lululemon ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment