Monday, December 5, 2011

You in a sentence

So back to the weekend folks, because, as I mentioned, it was jam packed.
Saturday after a wicked day of shopping- hello new velvet shoes- My husband and I headed to an engagement party to celebrate the upcoming nuptials of a very close friend.

Now, I seriously love weddings and everything that goes with them but one thing I dread is the engagement party. Showers are girly and silly, Bachelorettes are drunk, weddings are dancing, drinking, eating hilarity- but engagement parties are civil, mingling events where long conversations spawn up way more than they do at their wedding counterpart (after-all, who is leaving the macarena to chat politics- am I right people? Ah, the macarena- I am so old... cotton eye joe anyone?)

Anyways, although much better with age, I am still pretty damn awkward and so subsequently, I cower in the face of a mingling event because it means I am going to be forced into long conversations with people I don't necessarily know.

Which brings me to the point of this post. So, I work in a creative hybrid agency where my day-to-day changes by the minute and I work on anything from one end of the spectrum to another. And so, how do I explain myself when asked the inevitable question of "So, what do you do?"

What do I do??? Can I say I am like Wonderwoman? A Jill of all trades?
Do I say where I work? My ambiguous job title? My department? A full-out description of my job? A general field in which I subscribe to as a professional?

It is hard yo.

So it got me thinking as to how people go about "selling" themselves. I watched a youtube video on the topic and sweat from my palms trying to figure out how to use this video and apply it to myself- the guy was an engineer- so totally relatable (not).

Google told me that I am not alone in this What-on-earth-do-I-say-to-all-these-people. Nice to feel like there is other life on this planet right?

So please please please- I emplore and challenge you to tell me what you do in one short sentence so that I may learn a thing or two from my valuable readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment