Monday, December 12, 2011

Going on a lion hunt....

So on Saturday I went with my mom and husband to MEC to get some gear for my upcoming honeymoon which inches closer every day (cant.wait.).

Mountain Equipment Coop is the most insane place ever.

So I needed a backpack having long lost whatever one I used on my last backpacking adventure some 5 years ago. I don't think I bought one for my last trip- I m sure I found or borrowed it so I have never really spent much time in the MEC backpack section (usually only hitting up the knife section for my hubby- don't ask, apparently he needs more than one size knife for his knifing needs- what are they? not sure but  will be grateful if we are ever trapped in the woods and he can rescue us via various knife sizes- boys are cute.)- wo-ha that section is massive.

How many different backpacks could one utilize? Apparently close to 100.
A lovely woman named Cheryl was my saviour and helped me to locate the bag for me- loaded it up with 25 pounds (yikes) and set me off around the store to see if I would tip over. I managed to stay upright- albeit hunched. Mission accomplished and backpack solved- and this thing is wicked- it has a fully detachable day bag, about a bazillion compartments (yes, people, a bazillion) and a foldy-over thing for the plane- foldy over- excuse my technical jargon.

Thank gosh for Cheryl in that dept because after I left her I was as lost as a person in a very dark room who just cant find the door.

How on earth would I know which level of hiking boot I would need? Um, the ones that look the best? That didn't bode well as an answer to the too-cool-to-care boy who got me a size in what I thought were the only pair that wouldn't make me look like a mountaineer asshole. Suffice to say, that was all the help he offered me after that.

But really, how would I know?

I opted to not even bother with hiking boots and go with my trusty running shoes- I hope they will get me by in the jungle.

When I finally tracked the boy down to inquire about the differences between the 6 models of fivefinger shoes (you know, those shoes with toe slots? like gloves?) he told me they were all the same. Um, obvi not. They wouldn't have 6 different types if they were all the same now would they? That is just stupid.

He failed to give me any useful information and I began to get irritable. I try and remove myself from irritating people when I get this way- no one needs to be told what a cock sucker they are just because I don't like them....

So fine, don't tell me about the different types of stupid toe shoes- you suck.

I chose the ones I saw my trainer wearing, since I am using them for training, seemed like a good idea. My husband is already embarrassed to be seen with me wearing them- they are pretty flagrant. Like frog-woman.

ribbit.

Anywho- thought I would also grab some more technical gear (yoga clothes) and was delighted to find a fairly good section of amazing prana clothing...however, in this department I was met with a girl who, when I asked about how the tops and sports bras fit- she said, one size fits all. I would say that would be the case if it actually fit once I bought it under her advisement and brought it home. Instead I had two hanging folds of fabric where my boobs would fit if I was a C cup. Liar.

Anyways- MEC, amazing store, super amazing gadgets and goods, but people, don't fucking judge me because I haven't done a jungle adventure trek before- it's like judging a fat person who starts at the gym- we all have to begin somewhere- so please, leave the pretension in the woods...

take that.

No comments:

Post a Comment