Thursday, December 8, 2011

Food for thought

So last night after work, myself and 2 of my wicked co-workers walked down to College to check out the new Loblaws that opened at former Maple Leaf Gardens.

I admit in advance that I love grocery stores- the food, the classifying of the food, the touching, smelling- a full sensory experience that yields bags-o-plenty to come home with.

But oh-boy you should go to this Loblaws. So we will forget for a moment that the upstairs of this store houses a huge Joe Fresh (dear cheap and cheerful color coordinated clothing- le sigh) AND a ginormous LCBO and focus on main floor goodness beginning with the flower market that paves your entrance into the pre-made food and deli counter.

I would say, without exaggeration that there must have been over 100 different deli meats- there were like 30 kinds of salami. 30!!

There was a pre-made food in containers section, a pre-made food behind the counter section, and a pre-made food salad bar esque thing too.

Moving along to the produce... it was the brightest produce I have ever seen. Did the exceptional lighting and meticulously clean floors make the green peppers glow even greener? Perhaps.... perhaps.

I was looking for some side dishes to go with our chicken dinner and almost passed the fuck out when I came to a wall of baby food. I totally don't mean like mashed peas by Gerber either- I mean regular food in baby sizes- like carrots as long as my fingers, cauliflowers that fit in the palm of your hand, and brussel sprouts that were the size of a penny. I bought every baby thing I could find- you just can't say no to cute food. I freakin dare you to reject the brocollini.

I meandered past the Ace bakery counter and towards the candy counter which had caught my eye when  I passed the wall of cheese.

Oh yes people, the pictures and stories are true- this bitch has a full out wall of cheese that reaches up to ceiling and houses some rarer and more amazing cheeses within its glass doors. I shat myself.

They not only had a full out health food section but one that categorized the health foods into international distinctions. A whole section of Mexican health food.... woa-ha

I remembered about the candy and headed over to that section to find gourmet candy, cupcakes, tarts, pastries, gelato, coffee- basically anything sexy and desserty.

If my husband had not called at that moment waiting outside to pick me up on his way home from work I would have just tweaked out all over those blue menu boxes.

Anywho- realize this isn't such a biting and or sarcastic or really funny blog- I had a bad end of day- but wanted to seriously endorse this place. This puts all other grocery shops to shame- the Superman of groceries, some may say.... someone says that right??????

No comments:

Post a Comment