Friday, December 16, 2011

That's what friends are for

So, Happy Friday everyone,

The sun is shining, the super subway didn't super-suck this morning... everything is coming up plantains.

This weekend I am very much looking forward to a holiday get together with my favorite girls.
I have a really amazing group of friends that I have stayed consistently friends with since high school ish times- which doesn't sound like much except that by now it has been anywhere from 10- 15 years of friendship- which is a lot of time to really put up with someone.

I am lucky because these girls are not only wonderful, but we have allowed one another to grow up separately and yet still maintained a closeness that only really can exist between people who REALLY know one another.

No drama, no bullshit lots of laughing and lots of effort to do stuff together- just how I think a good friendship should be.... to me, once you have nothing to do with someone and you no longer laugh together, you may as well not really hang out. Who on earth has time for that?

And of course, having just gone through a tiny rough patch, I knew that these would be the girls to really be there for me, as they usually tend to be- they did not disappoint.

And the point of all of this is that I think a lot about relationships between people and how incredibly dynamic they are and how even more important they are. I think it is a strong testament to a person's character when you see their friends and lovers. I find myself weary of people who don't have long term friends- no matter how cool these people seem, there must be something weird about you if no one wants to stay your friend right?

I likewise find myself always drawn to people who have many close friends and value friendship in the same regard as I do- listen, truth be told, I was lucky enough to marry my best friend- there are VERY few people who know as much about me and my secrets as him BUT after a long week, during special times and then especially during the harder ones, I am damn lucky to have my best friends to celebrate/vent/cry/laugh with.

So, people, enjoy your friends, enjoy your days, and enjoy this weekend- last one before the holiday madness begins!!!

Holla,

No comments:

Post a Comment