Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Love and Marriage.

So it has been a while- so sorry. Life has this way of really grabbing hold of you and making your time pass without warning.

And so, with that, I find myself on the cusp of getting married in but a few weeks.
I remember when the calendar showed 3 months away I was floored- now, it is a handful of days until I become a Mrs.

This has been a really wonderful time for me. I certainly have loved all the love I felt from all those around me and of course, I get to marry my bestie. After 4 and a bit years together it is hard to believe that I can still wake up and feel more in love- but such is the nature of a really great union. And 4 years has afforded us the time to really get to know each other and develop this very real and very meaningful thing.

That withstanding, I am delighted to be finishing this year where I have spoken about my wedding more than any other thing in the world.

Again, I must really emphasize how fun it all was- I loved planning this day and making it really important.

But seriously, one more conversation about cake or candles and I will seriously kill myself.

Having never really been the type of girl who dreamed of her fairy tale wedding all her pink filled pony playing with days, I was really taken aback by this obsession with "the wedding"- but I, like most brides to be, found myself suddenly plagued with fear that the deep eggplant florals I had chosen might just not go perfectly with the cream colors on the doors of the reception hall- and then I found myself spending sleepless nights weighing the pros and cons of registering for a Kitchenaid stand mixer or the Artisan mixer- and then I realized that I was deep deep in big time loserville and that if I donated but one more microsecond to the merits of fine china, I would have disown myself (can you do that?)

The amount of time/ energy exerted by myself and like- brides would blow your fucking mind. I'm sure if you bottled this ever growing momentum in feelings, you could power a large country. Think I am over exaggerating the point? Try debating photographers and which photo package to purchase with a soon to be married person- you would probably never guess that such a mundane and ridiculous thing could occupy 4 hours of conversation....

Anywho- alls I can say is that I actually forget what I spoke about before getting engaged and I imagine this is close to how you feel after having a baby and being off work and away from adults- then you come back and go into shell shock from not spending your days imitating sesame street characters (ug, do kids still watch Sesame Street? Do babies watch TV? Am I a horrible parent already without a child?)

My advice- marry the man/woman that you love- and elope.

the end.

ps. So excited to get married, just had to repeat that- and will likely go into wedding withdrawal once it is over- just watch. the grass is always greener.

No comments:

Post a Comment