Wednesday, August 24, 2011

One Day

So last night, after going with my oldest friend to watch her try on her AMAZING wedding gown and enjoying a delicious all-you-can eat sushi dinner with her and her hubby to be I went to a movie.

Have I ever gone on my movie rant? Because, I really hate going to see movies.

First of all, I hate crowds and movies are a hotbed of really crowded lines and intense people.
I also hate that crack popcorn they serve- eat just one kernel, I dare you.

But, last night, anticipating a wonderful experience, I succumbed again and went to the show.
While I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I read only books that are movies including "The Help" (FAN.FUCKING.TASTIC) and "One Day."

So when my best friend asked if I would see One Day with her now that it is out on the big screen, I couldn't resist. See, I love a good sad love story and this one left me sobbing into my sheets pretty much for the whole last half.

Canada Square theatres, which is one of the few places this movie was playing, is a total relic from the past which I both appreciate for its charm and despise for it's lack of modern conveniences.

Yes, you pay only 5.95 to see a movie, but the screens are small and the chairs are all on one level so if a tall person sits right in front of you- you are fucked.
The popcorn is also super cheap- and tastes it.
But then on the flip side, no one really goes to this theatre so we got to watch the movie with only a handful of co-watchers.

Now I have several things to address about the night.

First. What girl drags their boyfriend to see this kind of crap. Even if you hadn't read the book and didn't know what the movie was about- the poster itself speaks to why you should leave you dude at home. And the preview! The preview even made me emotional- again, indicative of a movie to see with your girls, your mom, any female....

I say this because aside from the 2 girls behind us and the girl who was there with her mom (so cute), everyone was a couple. I can only say that my fiance is a sensitive, wonderful man who has indulged me MANY times with the likes of Gossip Girl and I would NEVER make him come sit for 2 and a half hours while we watch the unfolding of an "epic" love story that will inevitably leave me crying like a small strange child.

I can only hope, to all you girls who did get your men to come with to see this movie, that you rewarded them with a lot of sex.

Second. The Previews.
Holy crap do i love previews. Sometimes, shamefully, I spend whole hours watching youtube previews of movies to come. Since I hate theaters and fine movies, even at home, hard to sit through (2 hours of quiet stillness + ADD= this movie had better be fucking amazing)- previews are the perfect thing for me- like a short story.

The first preview was this indie love story to come a la Blue Valentine- so I know I have something to see in the future- the next was for a new action movie a la that movie with Angelina Jolie, when she is the mentor to that guy and they kill people based off of names they take off from a magical loom- and yes, that is a for real movie plot....Anywho- new action movie starring Taylor Lautner- who, in case you live under a rock (or you reached your mid-twenties and just stopped watching teeny bopper films) is Jacob, the Werewolf in Twilight.

So, please explain to me why I would see a stupid sounding movie with Jacob in it where he does not take off his shirt or turn into a sexy beast? Poorly conceived idea, no?

Lastly. The Movie.
Like I said, One Day was a really good book- and a really bad movie.
Sure, I cried, but in fairness, I cry during commercials sometimes so that is not indicative of anything.
And the movie was really really bad.

The death scene- and yes, sorry for the spoiler, she dies at the end- was SO graphic and so out of line with the "romance" of the movie (I made little quote marks because the movie just sucked so bad that I don't even know if there was a romance- but still). You literally see her get hit by a truck as if you are watching one of those cheap horror movies or weird viral videos- you actually see her body smash into the truck and then fling itself onto the pavement to die.

Um, don't these kinds of movies usually make the death scene super sad by NOT making it like that? Should it not be the suggestion of death and not a play by play of the contortions of the body as it spasms to the earth? It was just weird.

Plus, so the movie chronicles these 2 people every years for 20 years on the same date- you got about 5 minutes of action per year making it hard to even follow/ believe.

Anyways, disappointing at best.

But of course, like any chick flick, the sounds of people snorting back their tears while the male character cries in bed mourning the loss of his love was almost in unison- making me feel like far less of a loser for spilling about a cups worth of tears over essentially nothing.




No comments:

Post a Comment