Monday, November 19, 2012

A year gone by

A year in Review.

I am constantly remarking on how fast time goes by these days. How fast the winter has crept up, how fast the summer went by- and how fast a year has gone by with today marking my one year wedding anniversary.

In a few short hours, 1 year ago, I would have been marching down the aisle, ready and eager to say I do to my most wonderful husband. And now, 365 days later I feel like both an eternity and only a day has gone by.

And to think that I owe this whole journey to one of the worst times in my life really makes me grateful to have been able to build from a bad situation to the best possible one I could ever imagine. When I met my husband over 5 years ago I was a very happy, very messy and very non committed plantain. Having just gotten rid of a crap boyfriend, I was only wanting to have fun, drink a lot and never involve myself again with a stupid boy.

When I met him in an alley and he proceeded to ask me out some days later- I said yes only because my motto for that year was say yes to everything- to try anything new- which was both trouble making and full of wonderful experiences.

Not one day has gone by since our first date of me wearing leg warmers (oh fashion crimes of the past) and he talking a lot of bullshit (some things never change), that I have ever looked back.

There has been something really organic and magical in falling in love and then being in love with someone naturally- when neither of us were looking for it or even wanting it. And it was just awesome to know each other for so long before getting married. We are lucky. I know that for sure.

I married my best friend. I get to spend my days and life with someone who I never want to be without. We just spent the entire weekend together and I am already excited and anticipating our date tonight- that is one of the million reasons I know that he is perfect for me.

Now, please wipe up your barf puddle and thank you for indulging me in my love fest.

What you are really thinking is... How did we celebrate?
Here you go readers....

Friday we had dinner with my family. I have not had a home cooked meal by my mom in ages and it was everything I had hoped for and more. Dear chicken soup, I love you.

Saturday morning we got to the market early enough to get a pemeal sandwich for my hubs AND enjoy the farmers market. Have you been to it lately? Met the olive oil guys? I don’t know much about sales, but yammering on about how much your son loves oil/ a book about oil/ the tasting notes in the oil/ oil/ nothing while 2 people are trying to meander around and enjoy their Saturday morning is a shitty tactic.

Have you been to the Kosliks stand inside the regular market? Kosliks mustard, I dream of you. They grill you pieces of pemeal bacon to dip/ try the various mustards. Hot daym.

 We have this great “joke” where we pretend we have never seen the mustard stand before and then grab as many pieces of pemeal bacon as we can get our grubby little hands on. There is little taking for the following 10 minutes while we shove mustard doused bacon in our mouths.

The end goal to our market jaunt was to cook a romantic dinner for 2 that night. Mission accomplished, friends.

We made a wicked cheese plate with smoked speck and drank paper planes made by my amazing chef of a husband turned mixologist. Following which, I dazzled him with my croustini making abilities. Seriously people, I make a mean croustini. We had mushroom and guanciale croustini with truffle and friend basil AND a creamed cheese/avocado/dill/lemon spread with gravlox.

Suffice to say that by the time we got to out calamari course, we were stuffed with no room left for the idea of homemade pasta that we had thought of. We drank expensive wine, gossiped like it was our job, and spent some time reflecting on when we met, the journey and where we are now. It was the most perfect way to enjoy the most perfect person.

Sunday we again woke up early and decided to take advantage and go to Aunties and Uncles- a brunch spot we had been wanting to try for some time but never could fathom waiting in the long lines for. We got there before 10 and still had a 30 minute wait. So I am a huge fan of dives- like, I love that I don’t give a shit antique décor style but woah A&U, you are gross. The place felt kind of dirty to be honest and the bathroom- let’s just say, centipede heaven was exactly what I thought as I tried not to stare too hard at any one surface for fear I would actually see one.

Breakfast was definitely tasty but amazing? Not really. Worth an hour wait in line? DEF not.

We walked around Kensington for several hours before heading home to get ready for our night out with his parents. They took us to Mideastro. It was F-ing amazing, like A-MA-ZING. Eat there.

Overall, it was a great weekend with the best husband and when I look back on a year of things that have not always been amazing, when I look at the “downs” and the struggles, I always still feel lucky to have him by my side through it all.

Face, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment