Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday reflections

Happy Friday everyone. It is snowing like crazy, the skies are grey and I am dreading my drive up North tonight but rejoicing at the idea of Friday, a cottage and the weekend ahead.

There is something about Friday that makes me very reflective. I find myself thinking about the week, how it went, what I did, didn't do...

And in that same breath, this morning I thought about my New Years resolutions.... reflectively.

I'm not one for resolutions usually- mainly because I know I won't keep them and it seems just plain mean to myself to do something that I know I will be disappointed in myself for doing before I actually do it. But this year, there were a few things that needed addressing and 2012 seemed like the perfect time for the changes I was looking for.

And so, as I trudged to the subway this AM, wondering if an umbrella was effective or not in this snow/rain, I went over these resolutions to see how I was doing thus far now having been home for 2 weeks (omg- I cannot believe I have been home for 2 weeks already- time, so scary).

The resolutions and successes/failures of Jane Plantain:

1. Stop swearing.
I seriously swear about everything. There is no limits to my potty mouth and where I will use (abuse) it. It's bad, real bad. No classy chick drops the F bomb like it is going out of style- it is just not lady like (or un trailer trash like which I certainly aspire to be). If you ever want your 2 year old to learn the F word, leave him/her with me.
Results to Date:
Pretty fucking bad.
Work in progress people, work in progress.

2. Have a better weekday routine.
I have always dreaded the ETB. IT seems to me that you become a totally lame person the day you begin to retire early and wake earlier. I have always prided myself in being a person who needed minimal sleep (the fact that I rarely sleep is conducive to this) and was still able to get up and be a functioning member of society the next day. But, like basically everything in my life right now, age is creeping in. Goodbye to the days I could pull a full all nighter,  Goodbye to the idea of going to sleep at 3am to wake up for work- hello to being late for work as a result of oversleeping, hello massive purple circles around my eyes- nice to meet you- you must be friends with grey hair and wrinkles.
Results to Date:
Coming home from across the world with extreme jetlag has helped kickstart this resolution. It is impossible not to go to bed at a reasonable time when you are functioning in a 12 hour time difference and like any habit, once you start, it is hard to stop. And, guess what? I wake up every morning on time, hell, I wake up with time to spare- so that's pretty good.

3. Read more
Results to Date:
3 books down, 2 in progress- resolutions are easy when they are awesome.

4. Text less, talk more
Seriously, I hate texts- I use them like a crackwhore uses crack (good one? right??) but hate myself for doing it- also like a crackhead. Here's the thing, they are easy, you can do it while you are pretty much anywhere and you don't have to commit to any length of conversation- you don't even have to answer back if you don't want to. However, I have found that with certain people, the text become full conversations and not just quick little notes- annoooyyying. So I vow to call someone if I need said full conversation. Period.
Results to Date:
LOL TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment