Saturday, January 22, 2011

Art House Co-op

One of the best things I did in 2010 was submit myself to the coolest art exhibit idea ever. Myself and over 23,000 people from all over spent 25 dollars and for that nominal fee were shipped a small brown papered sketchbook. The mission was to fill it using the assigned theme- you could choose from a list of themes or have one randomly selected for you. I chose and my title was "Down your street". For about 6 months I stared at the blank pages, as uninspired as I had been when trying to post a witty blog about some inane event and then, one magical day after a long and beautiful walk in the city, it came to me.
I have always loved dark art. A friend of mine owns the most fantastic painting of an old fashioned family portrait where all the people look like ghosts and have creepy almost transparent eyes. Back in August, I went on a painting binge trying to recreate a similar looking picture as a gift for my fiance for his birthday. I ended up with something really amazing and since then, in the back of my mind, I was looking for another way to create some darker images. So between my inspiring walk, my desire to express a more eerie picture than I usually do and visiting the Tim Burton exhibit (see next post)- I was ready.
So that being said PLEASE go checkout this very amazing website.

http://arthousecoop.com/users/jordanabeth

Located in Brooklyn New York, this company does tons of very unique and similar projects that are open to anyone for involvement.
I sent my book off in the mail last week and it will now tour through different galleries all over North America.
Click on the link to go check out what I am talking about...

Here are some of my personal favorites that I submitted...


So each one I made into a little poem to rhyme with down your street...


Down your street a man bleeding from his eyes becomes obsolete...

Down your street little ghost children want something to eat...

Down your street a pretty girl enjoys a sweet...


Down your street skeleton boy dangles his feet...

More on my page
http://arthousecoop.com/users/jordanabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment