Monday, August 26, 2013

Jane Rants: Protection when you most need it

Working in advertising does things to you. I use the phrase “to ____’s point” or “my POV is” way more than I should in casual conversation and I scrutinize ads to an extreme degree. It is a function of the job and it never turns off.

Case in point- please watch the below link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4qMhB_f9E



When Kotex came to life with those wicked ads they had with the messaging that was poking fun at all other tampon ads, they tore the feminie hygiene product worlkd a new asshole. Talking about periods so casually and in a fresh, "real" way was revolutionary. You laughed, you cried, and the people at Tampax scrambled to remind you that you can't judge a tampon by it's neon cover.


Enter Tampax's new ads- a subtle reminder that "at a moment like this" (this being when you are doing a back flip in a white bikini) she is glad to wear Tampax. Why? well, at this moment in her life, she doesn't care for fancy packaging and witty lines, she cares that she does not have a giant red mark on her white bikini bottoms in front of all her friends- thus positioning Tampax as the lead in leak protection. Let the "other guys" be he flash, Tampax will still emerge victorious. Substance over style.





But here is the thing- Tampax, while you win for your overall messaging and priorities, you lose for this shitty ad.

I am a fairly normal girl, I am in my 30s and I am totally comfortable with my body in terms of getting my period, like, really not a big deal at this point. HOWEVER, I really do still try to avoid bathing suit situations when I know it is coming and even at the best of times when I am period free, I avoid white bikinis. 


So this girl is on her period and she is like, "oh, I am going to a pool party and I shall wear a skimpy white bikini". She didn’t have anything else in her closet? Just one white bikini? I don’t think I buy that.

Furthermore, lets say, for arguments sake, that she does in fact own only one small white bikini and she is too broke to even go out and buy like, an H&M bikini which is on sale for 4 dollars and she just HAS to attend a pool party on the day of her period- DO YOU HAVE TO SHOW THE WHOLE PARTY HOW YOU CAN BACKFLIP ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY????????????? Like, maybe just tell your friends that you are a great back flipper and promise to show them some other time how awesome you are at it OR, just keep quiet. No one likes a show off anyways.

If it is time to “Get real” about periods then let’s all agree that the best you can hope for in terms of good solid protection is to not leak through your “period/granny panties” that you are wearing under a strategically DARK dress or jeans. If you dare to wear your smallest and most revealing bikini, you deserve whatever Mother Nature flings your way.

Can I get an amen ladies?

Xo
J

1 comment: