Tuesday, April 10, 2012

dirty 30

On Friday night I lay very still under my blanket at midnight, hoping that 30 wouldnt find me.

It did.

So birthday has come and gone and and now I am offish old. I have been dreading this year more than all other birthdays because, true or not, 30 seems like a real symbolic turning point in ones life a point where one must say goodbye to their 20’s which, for me was the saddest part of all.

My husband laughs and says all women hate getting old. Yes, because only women have issues that arise with age (cough cough, balding, cough cough- of course, he says this being a man blessed with a full head of hair and skin of a 15 years old so there you go). It is not the wrinkles I fear nor the greying of my hair- in fact, I don’t fear at all nor am I sad to get old. I am only sad to say goodbye to what has been the best years ever.

My 20’s have been filled to the brim with everything I ever dreamed they would be. I look back on this time with no regrets and in fact, am SO happy to have been as careless and reckless as I was- never will I utter the words, “I wish I had....”


I know that never again will I go out 6 days a week and think myself slightly lame for taking a day off- frig, I drink a glass of wine these days and just want to fall alseep... And truly, I am happy to be where I am now but really sad to say goodbye to all the memories and experiences- like going on a great holiday- you are always sad to leave.
   

I have to say, now that it happened that I hope everyone misses their 20’s as much as I did on the night before 30- it means you had as good a time as I did.

But moving on,  I had the best birthday- really low key, no tears (after Friday) and a present to look forward to- Thursday my most wonderful hubs threw me a BBQ so I got to spend time with my friends and family, then Saturday, my actual bday I we went on an amazing long hike, saw some friends and had a big family dinner- we brought his and my families together which is always a bit entertaining to say the least. I cant remember the last time I spent a Saturday night birthday with my parents (and parent in laws) but I have to say, one thing about getting older (and having the most wonderful 2 families) is that I actually WANT to spend the time- I could not imagine who else I would rather be with- they made me feel special just by knowing that these are the people in my life (ok, ok, no more cheese, I swears it- a girl only gets to be 30 once so let me indulge)

AND, if all this were not good enough, my husband is taking me to NYC this coming weekend. Amazeballs.
If you know me, you know that NYC is like ritual for me and my family- we went at least once a year, every year for almost all my life. I never do the tourist crap there though- like, never been on the Empire State building, never been to the MOMA- I have seen the usual NY suspects while walking around and such and usually go to see at least one play while there but my family goes to NY for one reason, shopping. Can’t tell you how to get anywhere but know my way around every single store in that city- and, from walking around SO much in the past however many years, I got to know the city on foot, got to know the subways, the vintage markets, the hidden boutiques, the hidden cafes near the hidden boutiques and little pockets that maybe are a bit off the beaten track so to say it hasn’t been cultural would be a lie.

So obvi, I am dying to shop, but this time, in lieu of my husbands inevitable impatience for shopping and desire to do more than hold my bags outside change rooms, we will be doing it all. All the tourist crap I have happily missed, I will no happily do. Plus, we have some serious dinners coming up. Le drool.

And, our very bestest friend live in NY now so we have a chance to see NY through the eyes of people who live there AND we get to spend time in areas like Brooklyn- cue in hipster music.....now.

Whateves. I am excited. This week seriously cannot go by fast enough.

So that is my 30- not as bad as I expected- which is good

1 comment: