Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Jane Does Fitness- Morning glory #freshairdontcare

This morning I work up at 5:45 am ripe with terror. All night I had dreamt up excuses to stay in bed and loll about until the absolute last second possible to still be at work on time (like I always do). There was no way, in my dreams, that I was hauling my lazy ass out of bed to do anything when my alarm went off.

At 5:45, it is hella dark- there is no solace in your stepping out of bed. No morning sunrise to greet you for another hour, no wonderful reason for you to do anything but sleep. Yet, I found myself up, getting into clothes and walking out my door all before 6am.

A few months ago I found out that my office will be moving as a collective to a new building- this is amazing news and I am mega excited for my new neighborhood and space HOWEVER, I must bid adieu to my beloved office gym that has kept me from becoming an obese person for the past 2.5 years. Goodbye to spin classes, to my favorite Muscle Up noon class, to the Arc trainers I so diligently sweat onto and to the rowing machines where I fantasized about being a Yale rowing champion. Goodbye to the weight area filled with men who smirked as I dry heaved through my 15 pound bicep curls and a final goodbye to the glorious mats that always smelled bad- I loved you all the same.

I’m not a gym rat, that’s for sure but it is fair to say that fitness is a good part of my life and the stress of being gym-less is making me sweat.

Now, with my new office I am forced to either join a gym downtown, get home from work and pretend like I will ever go to my husband’s gym located just north of us, or think outside the box. I chose column C.

And so, with that in mind, my husband and I agreed to a one month challenge- 2 days per week- 6am- running.

Full circle back to my walking out of the door at 6am this morning- morning number 1 of our run-while-it-is-early-as-fuck program.

Overall, it was actually amazing. I watched the sunrise while sprinting a 5k through basically empty streets listening to Macklamore (because I just fucking love him) and Usher. I would have never thought about pop music pre noon- it is invigorating. Plus, the best perk of all is that I was home, showered and eating a wicked breakfast before I would usually even be awake. My only learning was DO NOT eat banana before running. I spent the end of my run trying not to barf banana on the road.

I just reread this post and I feel like one of those really annoying facebook friends who is all like, “ran 5k today and then saved a kitten from a burning house” which I read while I am shoveling my face full of ranch potato chips at my desk. I'm not that person. My cheerfulness is genuine- my wish that I could never run another inch in my life and still not look like Shamoo is too.

Happy trails to you,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment